This began as a game some bloggers played in 2008, to write about people who'd made an impact, in the same number of words as one's age, every day for a year. I did them less often and went on longer, adding one word each birthday. I stopped in 2016 and incorporated them into my main poetry blog. In 2019 I resumed the project and gave it its own blog again, with a new name, where it may unfold at its own (slow, intermittent) pace. I've labelled these verse portraits, but they're more like quick sketches: mere glimpses, impressions....


Sunday 29 June 2008

Mum

You were always inclined to denial.
How well we all knew that stare
looking coldly a little way past us
or into some internal distance,
that vaguing of eyes and voice.

During the day of your dying, I discovered
I had it too, the same inclination.
An inheritance, perhaps?
I walked and I talked in a sort of trance.
This is not happening, I thought. But it did.



[Poem #1]

1 comment:

  1. Comments from original posting:

    Bev Sykes 14 July 2008 at 02:41
    I am impressed with your putting your comments in verse. Delightfully different!
    And at 68/365, I gather there is finally someone older than myself doing this!

    Rosemary Nissen-Wade 14 July 2008 at 10:41
    Poetry's my favourite form of expression, so I just naturally do it this way - not even a decision!
    Being older gives one the advantage of a few more words to play with. :)

    Bev Sykes 19 July 2008 at 08:32
    Yes, there are some perks to being older! And you get 3 more words than I do.
    I've been looking at your bio and other links here. I visited Australia in 2003, on a 6 week "walkabout" (not really) with a friend in Perth. Saw a lot of WA and fell in love with your country.

    Rosemary Nissen-Wade 19 July 2008 at 10:12
    Well well, I was in Perth in 2003 - but it was at the start of the year.
    Didn't get to Margaret River though. (Yes I have been having a squizz at your links too.) Normally I am on the east coast.
    Only spent a few hours in SF (1998) but thought it was gorgeous!

    Bev Sykes 19 July 2008 at 17:32
    If you ever get back to SF, let me know. I'm a great tour guide!

    Rosemary Nissen-Wade 19 July 2008 at 18:07
    Thanks! It seems unlikely, but you never know. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will appear after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.