This began as a game some bloggers played in 2008, to write about people who'd made an impact, in the same number of words as one's age, every day for a year. I did them less often and went on longer, adding one word each birthday. I stopped in 2016 and incorporated them into my main poetry blog. In 2019 I resumed the project and gave it its own blog again, with a new name, where it may unfold at its own (slow, intermittent) pace. I've labelled these verse portraits, but they're more like quick sketches: mere glimpses, impressions....


Wednesday 16 July 2008

Prisoner Poet 2: Kindred Spirit

Swift recognition,
though at first
you were wary
behind your exercise book.

Some years later
published poet, on the way
to an Honours degree.…
Out, you returned
to the thrill of oblivion.

Visiting after I broke my leg
you brought armfuls of food,
your methadone,
your wife and baby son.

I never saw you again;
you just vanished,
our birthday pact
broken that year.
Rumour said you OD’d.



[Poem #18]

Post-script 2019. We both moved house unexpectedly – to different parts of the country – around the same time, and didn't have each other's new addresses. But rumour was wrong. Many years later we met again, and became friends again. He has remained a happy family man.
PS2 2024. He died in October 2023 after battling a severe illness and appearing to have recovered. A month before, he had celebrated his birthday happily, with family (including grand-children) and friends. He did much good in his life and was greatly loved by many.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will appear after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.