This began as a game some bloggers played in 2008, to write about people who'd made an impact, in the same number of words as one's age, every day for a year. I did them less often and went on longer, adding one word each birthday. I stopped in 2016 and incorporated them into my main poetry blog. In 2019 I resumed the project and gave it its own blog again, with a new name, where it may unfold at its own (slow, intermittent) pace. I've labelled these verse portraits, but they're more like quick sketches: mere glimpses, impressions....


Tuesday 22 July 2008

Enemy

Once friend.

We were a threesome,
kindred poets.
The Three Musketeers
had nothing on us.

Wine and talk
in your flat,
she and I escaping
children, husbands, pets.
Wicked laughter, gossip
and literary theory.

Then you found cause
to sneer at me,
when the Human
Potential Movement
got me too.

Our third Musketeer
I lost; she
found me again.
Your poisoned words
failed to destroy.



[Poem #24]

1 comment:

  1. Comments from original posting:

    Bev Sykes 24 July 2008 at 20:09
    It's terrible to feel betrayed by a friend. I know the pain.

    Rosemary Nissen-Wade 24 July 2008 at 20:15
    Thanks for the empathy!
    The thing is, my friend felt betrayed by me, hence the reaction. I had become someone different from who I'd been - or so it appeared. I don't think it excuses the venom, though.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will appear after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.