This began as a game some bloggers played in 2008, to write about people who'd made an impact, in the same number of words as one's age, every day for a year. I did them less often and went on longer, adding one word each birthday. I stopped in 2016 and incorporated them into my main poetry blog. In 2019 I resumed the project and gave it its own blog again, with a new name, where it may unfold at its own (slow, intermittent) pace. I've labelled these verse portraits, but they're more like quick sketches: mere glimpses, impressions....


Friday 10 April 2009

The Cardinal

Took him in dislike
the first / only time we met:
the Church’s rising star
chairing the prison inquiry;
attentive, serious, seeming to care.
(I represented reform.)

Nothing of course happened.
I saw his report: contrary
to his reassurances on the day,
leaning hard to conservative.

Since, pedophile scandals
he failed to act on;
banning gay worship.

'Pompous, arrogant…' says my husband,
watching him pontificate on TV.

Too right.



[Poem #70]

10 years later, the Cardinal – having risen very high in the Church – was himself convicted as a pedophile.

1 comment:

  1. Comments from original posting:

    Pearl 14 April 2009 at 03:24
    ah yes, somehow gay as love among equals or adults who choose, is seen as a threat but boundary crossing against a power dynamic of non-equals isn't. Principles are hard to fathom sometimes.

    Rosemary Nissen-Wade 14 April 2009 at 09:42
    I hope everyone gets the ambiguity in the last line! This man is very right of centre, and seems to me an ambitious career priest to boot - always a bit sus in a profession that one would hope was motivated by spiritual vocation.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will appear after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.