This began as a game some bloggers played in 2008, to write about people who'd made an impact, in the same number of words as one's age, every day for a year. I did them less often and went on longer, adding one word each birthday. I stopped in 2016 and incorporated them into my main poetry blog. In 2019 I resumed the project and gave it its own blog again, with a new name, where it may unfold at its own (slow, intermittent) pace. I've labelled these verse portraits, but they're more like quick sketches: mere glimpses, impressions....


Sunday 31 January 2010

His Ex-Wife

At first meeting, was glad
to see she looked old.
I was wearing my red jacket
and I wasn’t fat then.

Hearing her talk, liked
her forthright politics,
imagined being friends.

But how, disappointed in life,
could she like me?
(And I warmed
to one she despised.)

That was 18 years ago.
Her youngest tells me now
she’s near her end.

My stepchildren’s mother.
My love’s first love.
This stranger.



[Poem #84]

1 comment:

  1. Comments from original posting:

    Pearl 8 February 2010 at 10:43
    interesting part of the journey. I always wonder about how such step-relations relate to one another.

    Rosemary Nissen-Wade 8 February 2010 at 11:29
    If we'd lived closer to each other, we'd probably have got on quite well. We usually did on the rare occasions when we met. However there was never much opportunity.
    Also it's a family rather given to having spats and taking sides. The fact that Spouse and I won't play does not endear us to some!
    (Obviously, I was not the cause of her break-up with my Spouse. Her great disappointment was the failure of her own second marriage.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will appear after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.