This began as a game some bloggers played in 2008, to write about people who'd made an impact, in the same number of words as one's age, every day for a year. I did them less often and went on longer, adding one word each birthday. I stopped in 2016 and incorporated them into my main poetry blog. In 2019 I resumed the project and gave it its own blog again, with a new name, where it may unfold at its own (slow, intermittent) pace. I've labelled these verse portraits, but they're more like quick sketches: mere glimpses, impressions....


Saturday 6 March 2010

The Man in Malang

(Central Java)


He stepped
from a shop doorway,
stood.

Our eyes held.
Then I was past
in the taxi.

A fair woman,
considered beautiful
there.

And he
lean, dark,
piratical.

Not Indonesian.
Too tall, curly-haired ...
a mystery.

That was all
until, back home,
headline:

These men missing,
believed dead.
He, centre photo.

Portuguese engineers,
East Timor take-over
(1979).

Already escaped
that day?
Or

visiting
and went
back ... ?




[Poem #86]

1 comment:

  1. Comments from original posting:

    Pearl 13 March 2010 at 04:01
    hm, tantalizing how close we get sometimes to more of the story.

    Rosemary Nissen-Wade 13 March 2010 at 10:45
    We were both out of context. He drew my attention simply because of his incredible handsomeness. And I, as I say, was considered a great beauty there by dint of my colouring (though not at home lol) so I guess it would have been the same for him, that and a curiosity on both sides as to what this person was doing there. It wasn't a great tourist resort or anything.

    We didn't even realise East Timor had been invaded until we got home from our holiday; it happened while we were away, and we weren't listening to world news.

    There was another bit I must write about too: some friendly young soldiers at a friend's house in Surabaya, whom I later realised must have been on their way to do the invading.

    Pearl 21 March 2010 at 06:39
    wow, friendly young soldiers on their way to an invasion. funny how that can be.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will appear after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.