This began as a game some bloggers played in 2008, to write about people who'd made an impact, in the same number of words as one's age, every day for a year. I did them less often and went on longer, adding one word each birthday. I stopped in 2016 and incorporated them into my main poetry blog. In 2019 I resumed the project and gave it its own blog again, with a new name, where it may unfold at its own (slow, intermittent) pace. I've labelled these verse portraits, but they're more like quick sketches: mere glimpses, impressions....


Friday 21 December 2012

Writers' group: Nan

Nan is the wicked one
who surprises newcomers 
whenever she reads.

It's not that she uses 
naughty words, or blasphemes;
it's her thoughts that are naughty,
her soul that's irreverent.

(More truly reverent 
than many a churchgoer,
she likes the Lord — she's just
not in awe. Her humorous tales
are in fact moral fables.)

And she's the effortless 
prize-winner:
in competitions always 
commended at least.

Underneath it all,
she appreciates
loving-kindness.



[Poem #102]

1 comment:

  1. Comments at original posting:

    Enigmatic Soul 15 April 2013 at 00:18
    One already likes Nan and would like to know more about her, more than just a passing glimpse. Well penned. :)

    Rosemary Nissen-Wade 15 April 2013 at 07:22
    Thank you! I'm glad I conveyed how likeable she is. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will appear after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.