This began as a game some bloggers played in 2008, to write about people who'd made an impact, in the same number of words as one's age, every day for a year. I did them less often and went on longer, adding one word each birthday. I stopped in 2016 and incorporated them into my main poetry blog. In 2019 I resumed the project and gave it its own blog again, with a new name, where it may unfold at its own (slow, intermittent) pace. I've labelled these verse portraits, but they're more like quick sketches: mere glimpses, impressions....


Sunday 6 July 2008

Black Sheep

You were the aunts’ whispers,
the rebel we shouldn’t meet.

Grown up, my brother said,
'I met that cousin. She’s brilliant!

You must meet, you’d love her.'
So I did, and you were, and I did.

Actor, dancer, thinker.
Spiked hair, bangles, throaty laugh.

We adored each other through decades
of marriages, babies, moves interstate.

Then what happened? A sudden
freeze. I still don’t know what I did.



[Poem #8]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will appear after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.