This began as a game some bloggers played in 2008, to write about people who'd made an impact, in the same number of words as one's age, every day for a year. I did them less often and went on longer, adding one word each birthday. I stopped in 2016 and incorporated them into my main poetry blog. In 2019 I resumed the project and gave it its own blog again, with a new name, where it may unfold at its own (slow, intermittent) pace. I've labelled these verse portraits, but they're more like quick sketches: mere glimpses, impressions....


Sunday 4 October 2020

My Cousin Anne

My cousin Anne was beautiful.

Dark hair and eyes, rich voice,

soft, curvy figure and that smile….


After childhood friendship,

life sent us apart.


Young women

briefly together again

in the big city, we still

talked long, shared books 

and clothes, and secrets.


The man she loved

couldn’t be hers – not 

full-time. (Wife, kids.)

And eventually not at all.


Known as glamorous, efficient

super-secretary, she who loved

children never had her own … 

though many fond nieces and nephews.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will appear after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.