This began as a game some bloggers played in 2008, to write about people who'd made an impact, in the same number of words as one's age, every day for a year. I did them less often and went on longer, adding one word each birthday. I stopped in 2016 and incorporated them into my main poetry blog. In 2019 I resumed the project and gave it its own blog again, with a new name, where it may unfold at its own (slow, intermittent) pace. I've labelled these verse portraits, but they're more like quick sketches: mere glimpses, impressions....


Thursday 31 May 2012

Nursing Home: Bobbi

Bobbi walks quickly 
along the corridors,
keeping to the edges.
One day she tells me,
whispering:

‘I hurt my hip. Now 
I have to keep walking 
or it seizes up.
I feel conspicuous
and embarrassed.’

She is slim
in her neat slacks
and cardigan,
sweet face framed
by a short pageboy.

Her eyes widen
a moment and I glimpse 
fear, want to hug her 
but will not intrude
on her frail dignity.



Cross-posted from my poetry blog, The Passionate Crone, from whence it is submitted to Poetry Pantry #101 at Poets United. 


[Poem #90]

1 comment:

  1. Comments from original posting:

    Sherry Blue Sky 4 June 2012 at 09:59
    Oh this is so sweet, and you are so sensitive and respectful, Rosemary. There are a lot of stories in nursing homes. I've worked in them, so I know:)

    Rosemary Nissen-Wade 4 June 2012 at 10:02
    I only glimpsed a few of them, so these are sketches rather than in-depth portraits, but I was intrigued enough to wish to attempt them — and there will be more.

    Kim Nelson 4 June 2012 at 11:01
    Rosemary,
    These portraits are stirring and thoughtful, respectful and evocative. Thank you for the dignity and grace you masterfully use to cast light on the subjects.

    Rosemary Nissen-Wade 5 June 2012 at 06:42
    Thank you, Kim, for the kind comment.

    Dana Leah 5 June 2012 at 03:58
    this is so cool! i love that moment when a person, including someone you don't know, inspires you to write about them. what a lovely homage to these people, and the delicacy of this is just breathtaking. x

    Rosemary Nissen-Wade 5 June 2012 at 06:43
    Nice to 'meet' you, Dana. I'm glad you enjoyed.

    Rachel Hoyt 5 June 2012 at 11:55
    Love this personal snapshot. You have painted her beautifully. :)

    Rosemary Nissen-Wade 5 June 2012 at 16:24
    Thank you Rachel. She made quite an impression!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will appear after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.