This began as a game some bloggers played in 2008, to write about people who'd made an impact, in the same number of words as one's age, every day for a year. I did them less often and went on longer, adding one word each birthday. I stopped in 2016 and incorporated them into my main poetry blog. In 2019 I resumed the project and gave it its own blog again, with a new name, where it may unfold at its own (slow, intermittent) pace. I've labelled these verse portraits, but they're more like quick sketches: mere glimpses, impressions....


Sunday 5 December 2010

The Lady from Lombok

‘My husband beats me,’ she murmured,
eyes downcast, to Bill in reply to his praise
of her gentle beauty. Perhaps she thought
to reject an advance? I never saw a mark
on her delicate face, nor a bruise
on her dainty arm, and she didn’t move
like one with hidden injuries; she was lithe.

Nor did she, later, reject his advances.
I wasn’t with him on that trip. But I knew.



Cross-posted to my poetry blog The Passionate Crone, where it now also forms part of my 'Remembering Bali' series.

[Poem #89]

1 comment:

  1. Comments from original posting:

    Pearl 19 February 2011 at 14:03
    hm, complex encounter.
    all don't respond the same way to beating i suppose and to play with others may have been a way of reclaiming ownership, territory of herself.

    Rosemary Nissen-Wade 20 March 2011 at 14:55
    It's too hard to know now, so long after. I myself was a different person then, in different circumstances, and my reactions and perceptions different too from what they'd be now.

    jen revved 17 November 2011 at 16:05
    So glad to have found you, Rosemary-- this is lovely-- I've been perusing your blogs-- beautiful work! Thank you for your wonderful comment today! xxxj

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will appear after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.